Easy Mason Jar Spice Rack Tutorial
My kitchen spice rack used to be a mess with unkempt bottles and jars that I found hard to identify that which one contained which spice. There was spice strewn everywhere on the rack and there was an inevitable mixture of the spices. In one word, it was complete disorganization, to say the least. The days that I earmarked for cleaning the kitchen would almost drive me crazy while cleaning the spice rack. Being an avid net surfer, one day I unexpectedly tripped upon a wonderful spice storage idea outlined in A COZY KITCHEN that I tried out for myself.
How to Make a Mason Jar Spice Rack
- Mason jars
- Chalkboard paint
- Pen and paper
- First, make a neat list of all the spices that you have since it would be difficult for you if you dump them in the mason jars without labels.
- Take off the lids of the jars. Cover their tops with 2 coats of chalkboard paint being careful not to go beyond the inner borders of the rims. A coat of primer before this would be a good idea but I didn’t have any.
[N.B. Since I would be storing the jars in a drawer I painted the tops for labeling the jars. However, if you plan to put them in a cabinet, you may paint their fronts.]
- Leave them to dry. It takes around 20 minutes.
- Referring to the list made in step 1, write down the names of the spices on the painted parts of the jars with chalk.
- Fill the jars with the spices and screw on the corresponding lids.
Now you can neatly arrange them in a kitchen drawer that is easily accessible during cooking.
Cool Mason Jar Spice Rack Storage Ideas
Decorate a kitchen drawer beautifully to accommodate these small mason jars labeled using chalkboard paint.
Make the mason jars containing spices to hang using magnets for a clutter-free kitchen space.
Have a gala time with your old mason jars for unique DIY kitchen storage solutions.
Leave a Reply