Add a dash of chalkboard paint to a handful of mason jars and deck your center table, window sills, or mantel shelf in a myriad of ways with flowers, candles, or lights. Aside decoration, I learned how useful a mason jar could be for storing your food essentials while going through a tutorial on DecoArt. Nothing fancy was done on the jar, yet the outcome left me awestruck.
DIY Chalkboard Mason Jars with Handles and Straws
- Mason jar (I drilled a hole in the lid and inserted a straw to give it a unique look)
- Chalkboard paint
- Red acrylic paint (or any paint of your choice)
- Masking tape
- Foam brush
- Paint brush
- Rub the mason jar thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
- Attach the tape to one side of the jar leaving a small rectangular space at the center for the painting and writing. (You make an abstract pattern for the writable area other than a regular square or circle)
- Apply the chalkboard paint over the entire space using the foam brush. Allow it to dry and then put another coat.
- Paint the border red with the paint brush. Let the jar undergo complete drying for 3 to 4 days.
- Remove off the tape and write a special message on the painted surface with chalk.
As I had a Christmas theme in my mind while painting the jar, I thought adding a tinge of red would go well with the festive mood. But you can go only for the chalkboard paint to retain simplicity.
Over the weekend I had a mason jar-painting session with my pals and all of us tried our hands on the bigger jars. The kids are going to fall for it.
A Handful of Ideas to Make and Decorate a Chalkboard Mason Jar
The warm flames flickering inside a mason jar incorporates a glimpse of beauty amid the dark. Here, an oblong writable space is made with a twine and some hot glue while the rest of jar is painted. Bet you would not be trading the chalkboard-painted mason jar candle centerpiece for anything else.
Douse the lids and rings or vice-versa instead of the jars without compromising their utility. How about some chalkboard mason jar mugs with lids on your dining table?
A chalkboard-painted mason jar gives you the pleasure to use it as a mug or cup for sipping your favorite drink. At any birthday celebration or wedding, a row of mason jars dipped in chalkboard paint adds a touch of artistic flair to the overall décor. Let’s see how you fair with your creative attempts.